Monday, December 13, 2010

Pre-op testing

My first post. . I can't believe my surgery is in one week!  Today I went to Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, New Jersey for my pre-op testing.  Though my doctor is at Columbia in NYC he also performs the surgery at Valley Hospital which I opted for b/c of lower fees. 
I was pretty excited.  Got a little scared as I walked up to the chest x-ray room and passed a number of sick people on beds.  Thought to myself  that every other time I have been a patient it was for such a happy reason - having my babies.  But this time will be happy too because I am going to final have the tool to help me lose weight. 
I am doing well on the pre-op diet.  Today I didn't even have my one meal and stayed on just liquids and a protein bar.   
On the way home I stopped at Nordstroms for what I hope will be one last shop in the plus department.  I am going on a business trip tomorrow and am tired of the comments that all I wear is black.  So I bought 2 sweaters - one mauve and one grey that will fit nicely for a while until I can start to wear all of the great clothes I have that are right now too small.  I think if I did not have the surgery scheduled I would have been so upset in the dressing room - hate those 3 way mirrors.  Wondering if I had that in my house would I have gained all this weight! :) Of course there was the "Plus size saleswoman" who when I mentioned that I was having lapband surgery made a face but quickly tried to correct it.  I said "I know, you know people who had it done and haven't lost weight".  I was ready for the negative attitude and I just explained I am fully aware that it doesn't do the work for you. . . The younger more eager salesgirl was so excited and said about five times that I just must go back and let her see the results.  I will be back - but to go across the aisle to the petite section where I shopped most of my life!
Then home to pack for my trip.  Will be gone for 2 nights/3 days.  For the most part I love my business travel but lately it has gotten tough due to the lack of clothing, not being comfortable in the airplane seats, and just not feeling good about myself around people which has been hard for me because in general I am a real people person and my job is based around interaction with people. 
My one week countdown begins! 

12 comments:

Dinnerland said...

Exciting times for you.. and nerve-wracking. I remember being in just the same place a bit over a year ago. I'm now down over 35 pounds (I had surgery at a 'lower' BMI and have lost weight slower... but it is working!!) Thanks for commenting on my blog.
We are NJ neighbors, by the way!!
Good luck on surgery and make this blog your home to journal your feelings, your place to be accountable, and your place to share all of your successes... there are MANY success stories out there.
DL

Dinnerland said...

Duh, I just noticed you live in Westport, not NJ!! Well... your hospital is practically my neighbor...
:-)

Susan said...

Thanks so much! I grew up in the next town from Valley so am familiar with the area. My sisters live there too.
You have had great success! I wish I did it at your beginning weight instead of letting it get out of control. But am taking the right steps now. I am halfway through your blog and love it! Is there a group where everyone knows about all the blogs?

CeeJay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CeeJay said...

Welcome! You will do awesome on your weight loss journey! I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and can't wait to see your progress!

Robin said...

Congrats on beginning your journey!

Lap Band Gal said...

Good luck with you surgery...you'll do great :)

Alison said...

Hello, Lots of luck for your surgery!

lasslynne said...

Dear Susan,
I am having my lap band surgery on Monday the 20th too. I am here in Wilmington, Delaware.
My blog is lasslynne-livingfromtheheart.blogspot.com
I will be praying for you and thinking about you too and look forward to supporting you in your new life too!
I am very excited! Take care!
Lynne

Lee Ann said...

Susan,
How exciting! I'm hoping to get my LB around late January. I just have one more weigh-in on Jan. 3 before my paperwork is submitted to my insurance company. It can't come fast enough!! Nordstrom is my favorite place and, like you, I can't wait to be back in the Petite section. Enough of Encore, lol. I've never understood why the call their Plus Size section "encore" when that word means "again" or "more." Are they referring to the way I return to the buffet table AGAIN to get MORE food? I'll be happy to return to Petites since I'm clear on the meaning of the word, ha. :)

Susan said...

Lynne - very exciting we are on the same day - we will have to compare notes. My surgery is at 3:00. Will be thinking of you too.

Stealing Skinny - I don't get the whole Encore either. And at the Nordstroms I go to it is right across from the Petite section. For years I was a 10-14 Petite depending on my weight.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your surgery! This is going to change your life forever!

Post a Comment