Friday, December 17, 2010

Getting Scared. . . being banded on Monday

Now that I am only 3 days away I am starting to get nervous.  Reading all of your blogs and especially the posts right after surgery are so helpful.  The good part is that I really am hopeful and without having this I would have been so depressed that another holiday season and New Year is approaching and I haven't done anything about my weight gain.  Instead I am really looking forward to the New Year.  I even booked a trip in April for the whole family to visit my parents in Florida. 

So I started to make a list of all the things that I am looking forward to and/or reasons I am having surgery.  Here goes (not in any particular order). . .

1.   Wearing colors - I am so sick of wearing black all the time.  At this weight I just don't feel comfortable in colors. 
2.    I want my sons to be able to comfortably sit in my lap without my stomach getting in the way.
3.    I want to enjoy getting dressed and wearing clothes again.  I have a closet full of great designer clothes and suits that I used to wear to work (St. John, Armani, and even one favorite Chanel blazer!) They range from size 2-12.  I am currently a size 20. 
4.    Want to be able to go skiing.  One of my good friends from college just moved to Aspen and invited us but I am too heavy to ski.  Skiing was a huge part of my life pre marriage and kids and I love it.
5.    I don't want to be the biggest person in every room I am in. 
6.    I don't want to worry when I go to my son's school that some kid will tease him that his mommy is fat. 
7.   Cure my sleep apnea and not have to use the CPAP.  It is such a hassle to travel with.
8.   Wear some of my jewelry that doesn't even fit - necklaces, rings, bracelets.
9.   Avoid health problems.
10. See people again and make plans instead of avoiding situations where I know I will see people who knew me 100 lbs ago. 
11.  Not to have to worry when I go to a restaurant, on an airplane, to the movies that I won't fit in the seat.
12.  Not have people look at me and wonder why I let myself get this way and why I can't control the amount of food I eat. 

Those are just the few that came to mind. 

I have read that it helps to have a plan.  I don't really have a detailed plan but I know that I will strive to:
1.  Follow all the band rules.
2.  Strictly follow up with my surgeon and support group.
3.  Make at least 30 minutes on the treadmill a priority 4-5 days a week.  (I can actually do 45 now)
4.  Stick to the 900-1100 calories a day. 
5.  Have small near-term goals of 10 lb increments. 
6.  Blog and continue to read all of your posts to keep learning. 
If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. 

On to other stuff. . . I finished "Fighting Weight" by Khaliah Ali and really enjoyed reading it.  It made me think I should have gone to Drs Ren and Fielding at NYU but I am happy so far with my choice of Dr. Marc Bessler at Columbia Medical.  Any Dr. Bessler patients out there? 

Spent the day doing errands preparing for Monday's surgery.  I have clear soup, tomato soup, butternut squash soup, diet jello, protein shakes, greek yogurt, sugar free ice pops.  I picked up my meds from CVS and stocked up on Gas-X and other things I might need.  Now I just need to pack my bag b/c even though I am not suppose to be staying over at the hospital I just want to be prepared. 

I think I am most scared of the recovery.  Although I had 3 C-sections - I was in the hospital for 4 nights after each one.  I don't know what it is going to be like to have to rest and recover at home with 3 kids.  Luckily my husband and our au pair will be here to take care of them.  I think I am going to set my youngest son's bedroom up into my "hospital room".  He comes into our bed anyway during the night so this way I will have some peace without being interrupted and potentially jumped on. 

Other than the errands had a fun day - met 2 girlfriends at an afternoon movie - Love and Other Drugs.  Went for a manicure and did a little make up shopping.  Stayed on the pre-op diet with 2 shakes for breakfast and lunch and then had a salad, salmon, and steamed broccoli for dinner.  And okay - I will confess what is likely my last glass of red wine for a while. 

Anyway - wishing everyone a good weekend - happy shopping! 

Susan

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Susan, I was just banded on Monday and I wasn't nervous at all. Not even right before they put me under. I got nervous when I left the hospital. What did I do? Am I going to make it? It is Friday and I am feeling pretty good. Still in recovery mode but feeling pretty positive. You're gonna do great! Just like you I wanted to start 2011 as a new me. And we will. The gas x strips have been a life saver. I needed milk of magnesia for the reason that helps with! Low fitting sweat pants and panties that hit under my belly button. I had one incision and the rest were in my belly button so I am a bit sore there. Tylenol as I am off pain meds. But i recommend take two strips when needed. The gas is a little painful. Food was not at all interesting to me until the 3rd day. It tasted funny. But jello went down. Cottage cheese was on my diet after day two and was pretty tasty cause you could chew it. Um..what else? Ask me anything..I'll be a week in front of you. I am posting from my phone so forgive if this is choppy!

Here's to us my dear!

Susan said...

Amanda - thanks so much for the pointers! It is terrific you are doing so well. I bought the milk of magnesia too and am sure I will need it. Keep in touch and I am sure you will feel better each day. . .

Alison said...

Your lists are great, its good to reiterate why you're doing this.
I've had 2 c-sections and being banded is a walk in the park in comparison!

Good luck!

Rhonda said...

Love your lists, mine are pretty much the same! lol It's amazing how much all of us gals have in common! But we're gonna do amazing and get home and feel better very soon, right? :D Don't forget to wear warm socks on Monday! It'll help with walking around after surgery. :)

Dinnerland said...

Great list-- you're almost there!!
One more thing to add:
TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME.

This is truly the beginning of a journey-- and it will be amazing. There isn't a 'destination' just a newly invigorated life where weight control eventually doesn't have to be a constant bugaboo and you will feel success at losing weight and keeping it off!!

Maree said...

I just found your blog through your comment on Catherine's blog (Chronicles from Band Land). Good luck for your surgery! Must be almost on your way now. As for recovery, I found it a breeze - hopefully it will be for you, too. What a great Christmas gift you're giving yourself.

Lee Ann said...

Susan, I haven't been banded yet and I'm curious as to how your c-sections compare. I've had two myself and I'm hoping they are easier. :) I feel somewhat relieved to see that someone already said it's a walk in the park in comparison, that's great to hear. Good luck tomorrow. I wish you the best! Can't wait to hear about your experience!! :)

Susan said...

Maree that is so good to hear about the recovery - it seems like it all depends on how bad the gas pains are and it varies from person to person.
Lee Ann -- my first c-section was the worst. By the third it was so much easier. I will definitely post and let you know. I have to figure out how to mobile post from my blackberry.

Post a Comment