Tuesday, February 15, 2011

To Fill or Not To Fill. . . that is the question????

Three weeks ago I had my first fill of 4cc in a 10cc band.  I postponed my second fill scheduled for yesterday for a few reasons. 

First, I have to go to NYC for my fills (about an hour on the train although I then have to take a cab up to Columbia on the Upper West side) and had a lot of things to do so needed the couple of hours to finish (although I could have made it work). 

Second, I have to be in NYC this afternoon and all day tomorrow for a conference and was a little nervous about sticking to liquids/mushies while away.  Also feared since I have not had any stuck/PB episodes I might be overconfident while eating and go to fast. 

And third, my weight is down and I am feeling pretty good.  As of this morning I am down 32 lbs from my high and it is 8 weeks since my surgery.  Granted I would say 90% has been willpower and just being focused on thinking "failure is just not an option". 

The other 10% is knowing the band is there.  I do feel full with the band but could honestly keep on eating.  I have always been more of a volume eater rather than sweets so it is keeping the volume in control.  I do still think about food and what my next meal is going to be and how much I would love to have a bowl of pasta or a pizza.  All of your experienced bandsters - would a fill take those thoughts away? 

In reading Gen's blog she is at her Green Spot now and it sounds great but I am just scared of potential issues that could arise from tightening.  That being said. . . if it would accelerate my weight loss I should and will do it.  I tentatively set an appt for next Tuesday.  The other thing I fear is it will take away from my ability to eat the foods that are good for me - I mostly eat chicken and dense protein right now and its working for me.  I do know I could slow down and chew better. 

HELP!!!  Going to post separately about what's been going on. 
   

2 comments:

Amanda Kiska said...

My band pretty much stops me from eating too much most of the time. For example, I could probably eat one piece of pizza, but anything more would cause problems. When I eat out, I usually can eat about 1/3 of the meal. Portion control has been the dring force behind my weight loss because I don't make any foods off limits.

The criteria for a fill that you usually hear is that one cup of food should keep you full for 3-4 hours. If you are there, then you don't need a fill, but if you aren't then you should probably get one. It sounds like you're close to me.

I agree that getting a fill right before those events wouldn't be a good idea.

Momto4redheads said...

i thought the band helped you feel full with less but didn't actually stop you from eating too much unless it was too tight. I'm still new and learning, but I have been kind of using the 'see how little you can eat' guide for now...trying to get by on very little and see how long I can go without being hungry. I find it very freeing because meal times are such a hassle for me..I'm so busy!!!

Post a Comment